The patient is a 67-year-old man from Zhejiang Province. He is a farmer, and has had contact with live poultry. He became ill on 16 October 2013, was admitted to a local township hospital on 18 October 2013, and was transferred to another hospital on 21 October 2013 as his condition deteriorated. He is currently in a critical condition.
To date, WHO has been informed of a total of 137 laboratory-confirmed human cases with avian influenza A(H7N9) virus infection including 45 deaths. Currently, four patients are hospitalized and 88 have been discharged. So far, there is no evidence of sustainable human-to-human transmission.
The Chinese government has taken the following surveillance and control measures:
- strengthening of epidemic surveillance and analysis;
- deployment of medical treatment;
- conducting public risk communication and information dissemination;
- strengthening international cooperation and exchanges; and
- is continuing to carry out scientific research.