November 20, 2013
Qatar's Supreme Council of Health said
in a statement on Tuesday that the 61-year-old man died after
contracting MERS, adding the man also suffered from underlying “chronic
The statement also said that another man, 48, was discharged from a
hospital following a three-week treatment for the coronavirus.
In September, Qatar’s health officials announced two other deaths from MERS.
Earlier this month, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that it
was informed of 152 confirmed cases of MERS across the world, adding
that at least 64 people died from the disease by November 4.
Saudi Arabia’s Health Ministry said in a statement on November 10
that a total of 53 people have died from the virus in the kingdom.
MERS is a cousin of SARS virus that broke out in Asia in 2003, killing some 800 people.
The virus first emerged in the Middle East, and was discovered on
September 2012 in a Qatari man who had recently traveled to Saudi
Cases have also been reported in Jordan, Qatar, Germany, France, Italy, Tunisia and the United Kingdom.