Thursday, October 25, 2012

#Marburg Virus: 6th Death; 2 Recovering, 2 Adm's Neg. & Over 180 Under Survelliance

One of the two people, who were admitted on Monday with signs of the deadly marburg fever, has died.

Edward Turyamureba, a 38-year-old resident of Kicumbi Cell, Kamuganguzi sub-county, succumbed to severe bleeding and vomiting on Tuesday evening.

He is the sixth person suspected to have died from the disease since it was reported earlier this month. He was laid to rest at a brief funeral yesterday.

Two people were admitted to an isolation centre at Rushoroza Health Centre III in Kabale district on Monday.

However, the Ministry of Health spokesperson, Rukia Nakamatte, yesterday said samples from the patients tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute laboratory in Entebbe were negative.

Since the marburg virus was first reported in the country, only one person has been confirmed to have contracted it since the five suspected victims were buried before tests were carried out.

Meanwhile, Obed Ntegyereize, the first confirmed victim, is steadily recovering, after tests conducted on him on Tuesday turned out negative, health officials disclosed.

Ntegyereize is related to the five people who died from a mysterious disease linked to the marburg fever two weeks ago.

Dr. Patrick Tusiime, the Kabale district director of health services, said a surveillance team was monitoring the bereaved family to ascertain whether they are not infected.

Panic engulfed residents yesterday after one of the patients at Kabale Hospital, initially suspected to have marburg, passed away. However, Tusiime said the deceased succumbed to a stroke.

At Mulago Hospital, Sharon Twinomujuni, who tested positive for Marburg, is steadily improving. The hospital’s spokesperson, Enock Kusasira, said doctors had recommended a strict diet to aid her recovery.

He also said the hospital had not registered any new case of Marburg although the 26 people who came into contact with her were under surveillance. An additional 132 people are being monitored in Kabale district.

In Rukungiri district, health officials have put at least 21 families on surveillance in Nyamitoma village, Bikurungu parish, on suspicion that they came into contact with the first victim during prayers in a church. Authorities have since closed the church to prevent the spread of the virus.

Compiled by Isaac Nuwagaba, Goodluck Musinguzi, Caleb Bahikaho, Taddeo Bwambale and Viola Nabatanzi

No comments: