May 2, 2013 5 coronavirus deaths revealed in Saudi Arabia
The World Health Organization would like more and quicker information about new coronaviruses cases, the organization's head of infectious diseases said Thursday after Saudi Arabia surprised the world with the news it had found seven more coronavirus infections.
The Saudi ministry of health revealed late Wednesday that it had diagnosed the new cases, which bring the global case count to 24 infections. Five of the new seven cases had died by the time the Saudi government told the World Health Organization that additional cases had been found.
Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the WHO's assistant director general for health
security and the environment, said the WHO was informed of the cases
late Wednesday, but has been given little information about them. It has
asked for more, Fukuda said in an interview with The Canadian Press.
"As a matter of course we would prefer to hear and know about things
as early as possible. The whole aim of detecting [diseases] is really to
try to move and protect as quickly as possible," Fukuda said from
"I won't speak for the government of Saudi Arabia, but I can speak
for WHO in saying that it's a point that we have made and it's a
position that we hold very clearly with everybody."
Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/05/02/coronavirus-saudi.html