August 28, 2013
Saudi Arabia today announced two more Middle East respiratory
syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) cases, one of them fatal, as the World
Health Organization (WHO) recognized eight other cases that were
reported in the country over the past 10 days.
With the eight
recent cases, the WHO raised its MERS-CoV count to 102 cases, including
49 deaths. The WHO did not mention two cases that have been reported in
Qatar since Aug 20.
One of the new Saudi cases involves a
55-year-old man in Medina who has chronic renal failure and is receiving
intensive care, the Saudi Ministry of Health (MOH) said. The fatal case
was in a 38-year-old man in Hafar al-Batin who had been suffering from
severe pneumonia and respiratory failure, the statement said.
The two cases raised the MOH's MERS count to 84, including 42 deaths.