- Saturday, 10 December 2011 00:21
- Saugar Sengupta | Kolkata
The City of Joy’s Apollo Medical Research Institute (AMRI) turned a veritable gas chamber in the wee hours of Friday, when a raging fire snuffed out at least 92 lives — mostly of patients.
The fire, which started in the basement, assumed hellish proportions as the centralised air-conditioning pumped smoke nonstop from ground zero to the second and third floors, where maximum casualties occurred. Post-mortem on 88 victims has revealed that cause of death was asphyxiation on account of inhalation of carbon monoxide...